Private Viewing of Heath Ledger's Body Set for Friday; Mary-Kate Says 'Heath Was a Friend'

As Heath Ledger's relatives traveled to New York Friday from his native Australia for a private viewing of his body, Mary-Kate Olsen called the actor a "friend" in a brief statement.

"Heath was a friend. His death is a tragic loss. My thoughts are with his family during this very difficult time," she said in a statement released by her publicist.

Earlier Friday, the NYPD denied a report that it is planning to grill Olsen about frantic phone calls the "Full House" star received from the masseuse who found the actor dead in his bed.

"The report is unfounded and untrue," an NYPD spokesman told regarding the New York Post report.

Police set up barricades outside the Frank E. Campbell funeral home Friday as Ledger's family made arrangements to claim the body of the 28-year-old Oscar-nominated "Brokeback Mountain" actor.

The Frank E. Campbell funeral home in Manhattan also handled the deaths of celebrities like Judy Garland, John Lennon, Notorious B.I.G., Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Leona Helmsley.

On Thursday, police released a detailed timeline of the calls made by Ledger's masseuse on Tuesday afternoon, after he couldn't be roused for a scheduled massage.

Police said the masseuse spent nine minutes making three calls to Olsen before she dialed 911 for help. The masseuse called Olsen a fourth time after paramedics arrived.

The details about the calls do not have any significant bearing on the investigation because authorities believe Ledger was dead at that point and they have ruled out foul play.

At the funeral home Friday morning, a few onlookers and a large crowd of journalists gathered outside. Ledger's family was expected there later in the day.

Ledger's publicist, Mara Buxbaum, said no details about the funeral would be shared with the media.

Ledger's family placed a death notice in The West Australian, a newspaper based in his hometown of Perth, remembering him as "the most amazing 'old soul' in a young man's body."

"As a close knit and very private family we have observed you so determined yet quietly traveling in your self-styled path in life, nothing would get in your way ... no mountain too tall, no river too wide," said the notice, which the newspaper said had been submitted by Ledger's relatives. ".... Our hearts are broken."

The actor's sister, Kate, said she could "hardly breathe" as she tried to write her tribute. "We were the ultimate soul mates," she said.

"You were so many things to so many people, but to me you were just my little brother."

The cause of death will not be answered for at least a week, after medical examiners complete toxicology tests. Authorities suspect a possible overdose, but nothing conclusive has been determined. Several prescription drugs were found in the Manhattan apartment where Ledger's body was found.

Authorities believe Ledger was already dead while his masseuse was dialing Olsen, with the first three calls ranging from 21 seconds to more than a minute and a half.

Police originally said the masseuse made two calls seeking Olsen's advice about what to do, but they revised it to four after taking a closer look at Ledger's phone records. The masseuse, Diana Wolozin, apparently knew both Ledger and Olsen and knew they were friends; all the calls were made from Ledger's cell phone, police said.

At 1 p.m. Tuesday, Ledger's housekeeper went into his bedroom to change a light bulb, saw him sleeping and heard what she thought was snoring. The masseuse showed up for Ledger's massage appointment at about 2:45 p.m., knocked on his door and called his cell phone at 3 p.m. to wake him up, police said.

After setting up her massage table, she tried to wake Ledger and realized something was wrong.

That was when events took a strange turn.

At 3:17 p.m., she made a 49-second call to Olsen. At 3:20 p.m., she made another call, lasting 1 minute and 39 seconds. At 3:24 p.m., another call to Olsen. That one lasted 21 seconds.

Then, at 3:26 p.m., Wolozin called 911.

At some point during the frenzy, Olsen, who was in California, summoned her personal security guards to the apartment to help, police said.

Paramedics arrived at 3:33 p.m. and actually went up in the elevator to the apartment with Olsen's security guards. Paramedics did not allow the security guards into the bedroom where Ledger died, and they declared him dead at 3:36 p.m. -- 19 minutes after the first call to Olsen.

The masseuse called Olsen a final time at 3:34 p.m. The duration of that call was unknown.

Messages left at telephone numbers listed for Wolozin were not returned. Her name is not listed on the New York State Education Department's Web site, which tracks licensed health care professionals.

Among the qualifications for a massage therapy license in New York is CPR certification; police had said an emergency operator provided Wolozin directions on how to perform CPR on Ledger, but it was too late. Practicing massage in New York without a license is a felony that can result in fines or jail time.

Ledger told The New York Times in November that his recent work on the films "The Dark Knight" and "I'm Not There" had been stressful, and that he was struggling with sleeplessness and had taken the sleeping pill Ambien.

The actor received an Oscar nomination for his role as a gay cowboy in 2005's "Brokeback Mountain," one of several acclaimed for the actor in recent years. He plays the Joker in the Batman flick "The Dark Knight," set to come out later this year.

Before moving to Manhattan, Ledger lived with then-girlfriend Michelle Williams in Brooklyn. Ledger split last year with Williams, who played his wife in "Brokeback." The two had a daughter, 2-year-old Matilda.

Williams and Matilda returned to their Brooklyn home Wednesday evening from Sweden. The 27-year-old actress had been there shooting scenes for the upcoming film "Mammoth," said Martin Stromberg, a spokesman for film production company Memfis Film.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.