Police: Man Found With Weapons Near UCLA

A man accused of shooting at a traffic light was held without bail Monday after police found five loaded semiautomatic pistols in his possession and about 11,000 rounds of ammunition near the University of California, Los Angeles.

Gene Bush, 52, was being held at a county jail and was expected to make an initial court appearance Tuesday.

He was arrested late Friday by campus police after he allegedly shot at a traffic light a block away from the university. Police searched him, his van and a storage unit, finding weapons, ammunition and what police called an anti-government manifesto titled "The Secret."

"Given the situation, with the amount of guns and ammunition involved, we thought it best that he remain in custody until we know the full story behind him," said UCLA police Sgt. Phil Baguiao. "We would consider him a danger to society given the circumstances."

Police said officers found Bush carrying the pistols — which were equipped with laser sights — and 400 bullets. They also found another 7,800 rounds of ammunition in his van and 3,000 more in his storage locker, police said.

A press release said Bush appeared to have no criminal history and was living out of his van.

After his arrest, Bush made anti-government statements and told police to look in his nearby suitcase for "the secret," the release said. A Los Angeles police bomb squad found timers, paint thinner and other suspicious items inside, as well as his manifesto.

UCLA police spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein said police believe Bush was acting alone and didn't have a specific target.

"He had writings and a lot of them seemed to be anti-government, talk about 9/11," she said.

The incident began just before midnight when witnesses called police to say someone had fired three shots at the traffic light. A check by officers found bullet marks on the light and on a nearby building.

Police fired a Taser round at Bush after he ignored orders to get on the ground.

No one was hurt.

It wasn't immediately clear why police didn't announce Bush's arrest until Monday, more than three days after the incident.

It wasn't immediately clear if Bush had retained an attorney.