DILI, East Timor – The man who allegedly shot and critically wounded East Timor's president last month was in custody Sunday after surrendering to police, military officials said.
Amaro da Costa turned himself in without a fight late Saturday, handing over two automatic weapons and some ammunition, Lt. Col. Filomeno Paixao told reporters in the capital, Dili.
Da Costa, an ex-policeman, allegedly shot President Jose Ramos-Horta outside his home on Feb. 11, two military officials told The Associated Press, citing several witness accounts. They spoke on condition of anonymity because a police investigation was ongoing.
Ramos-Horta is recovering from multiple rounds of surgery in an Australian hospital, while Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao escaped unharmed from an ambush on his motorcade the same day.
The attacks -- which highlighted the nation's volatility six years after declaring independence -- were the culmination of a bitter dispute between hundreds of renegade troops like da Costa and the government.
Da Costa told reporters Sunday he "was involved" in the Feb. 11 "incident" at Ramos-Horta's residence, but provided few other details.