Fox News takes a look at some small business and restaurant owners opting for carts and kiosks in high-traffic areas instead of traditional brick and mortar retail stores.
Check back later to watch Fox News' daily Job Hunt report.
• Kiosk transactions expected to surpass $775 billion in 2009.
• Kiosk transactions were $607 billion in 2008.
• Kiosk transactions may hit $1.6 trillion by 2013.
• Number of self-service kiosks worldwide was over 1 million in 2009
• Number of self-service kiosks worldwide is expected to jump to 2.56 million in 2014.
• Top kiosk applications in 2009 are entertainment, retail and travel.
Cart and temporary store business
• Estimates total size of cart and temporary store business at $12 billion annually in U.S.
• Upfront investment for a kiosk or a cart ranges from $2,000 to $10,000.
Number of shopping centers and retail stores
• There were more than 102,000 shopping centers-of all sizes-in the US as of the end of 2008.
• There were 1,122,703 retail establishments in the US in 2007
People visiting shopping malls
• Average of 8.7 mall visits per year by US shoppers
Retail industry in Florida
• Retailing is Florida's second-largest industry
• Florida has 100,000- plus retail businesses.
• Florida's retail businesses employ nearly 20% of the state's workforce.
• In 2005, the most recent statistics available, approximately 11.7 million adults shopped monthly at one or more of Florida's 3,839 retailing centers.
• U.S. retail sales in Dec 2009 for stores open at least a year rose 2.9% compared to Dec 2008.
• Through first 11 months of 2009, retail store sales totaled an estimated $3.310 trillion .
• Retail store sales through first 11 months of 2009 was 8.3% decline from the first 11 months of 2008.
Retail sales employment
• Retail salespersons held about 4.5 million jobs in 2008.
• In addition, about 156,500 retail salespersons were self-employed.
• IHL Group ... via The Food Institute Report
• Investor's Business Daily 'Holy Grail' Nearing Local Grill: Food-Order Kiosks Rolling Out
• Specialty Retail
• The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 8 November 2009]
• Specialty Retail Report
• International Council of Shopping Centers Frequently Asked Questions
• ICSC 2009 shopping habits report
• Florida Retail Federation Industry
• "Several Retailers Boost Forecasts"
• US Census Bureau, ADVANCE MONTHLY SALES FOR RETAIL AND FOOD SERVICES • Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Retail Salespersons