Model? Check. Successful Entrepreneur? Check. TV Host? Check. Author? Check. Gorgeous home in the Bahamas? You get the point. India Hicks certainly knows the secrets to happiness and success. And now, the new host of Bravo’s Top Design, and co-creator of India Hicks Island Night and Island Living, shares her style, fitness and beauty secrets with you. We can’t transport you to her Caribbean paradise, but these tips will definitely make you feel like an islander at heart.
India’s Personal Style Must-Haves
1) Elle Macpherson Intimates underwear. It’s reasonably priced and very wearable. This season I have picked Harmonie, in a spot print. It’s sexy but fun.
2) Luis Morais Nylon Bracelet in deep purple (the color of the season) with a tiny gold cross in the center.
3) A year’s subscription to Domino Magazine.
4) Skinny jeans in a violet velvet.
5) My Island Night Fragrance Diffuser. It’s etched with a coral design and holds black curly willow reeds—inspired by the limbs of my favorite tree, a hurricane survivor that clings to the shallows of our island bay. Uncork to infuse the air with the scent of an island evening under the stars.
Five Fitness Secrets
1) Find a type of exercise not only appealing to you but also convenient. For me, that means running on the pink sand beach. I run slow but I run far. I also run barefoot. Not only does it give me a better workout, but it also exfoliates my feet in the process.
2) Exercising is much easier when you have a partner to motivate you. On the island, my two dogs Samson & Olympia, accompany me on my daily run. When travelling without my companions, I always use my Nike+ shoes and iPod sport kit to keep my motivation up.
3) After a long run, I drink coconut water to help re-energize and put my system back into balance. Not only is it a great thirst quencher but it’s low in fat and high in potassium and other minerals. An added bonus—my skin glows after drinking it!
4) Never underestimate the importance of sleep. A good mattress and clear conscience help but exercise aids sleep enormously by discouraging the build up of stress hormones. When you sleep well, your thinking is clear, circulation improves, energy levels soar and your body heals faster.
5) Get a Wii. Not only will your children adore you for it but, you’d be surprised at the workout a couple heated games of tennis will give.
1) Always use a high SPF sun block every day, drink lots of water, sleep well, exercise regularly and most importantly, stay happy and positive. Nothing makes a person more beautiful than happiness, which I consider an inner beauty where the results show on the outside.
2) Especially when on the go, I always pack my Crabtree & Evelyn India Hicks Island Night Fragrance Compact. This chic coral embossed metal compact contains my Island Night scent—a floral heart of purple and white orchids, night-blooming jasmine, green island palms and orange blossom nectar entwined with a woody musk accord and inspired by the moonlit evenings in the islands—and a fragrance enhancer scented with woods, musk and amber. Wear them separately or tailor the Island Night fragrance to your liking by applying the amber Enhancer over the solid perfume, to deepen and intensify the scent. You always have two beautiful fragrances to choose from and since they are solid scents, they are airline approved.
3) I keep my makeup routine to a bare minimum and love products that serve more than one purpose. You Rebel by Benefit, is a great moisturizer with a slight hint of color that contains SPF. What more could you ask for?
4) Vincent Longo Lipstain Lipstick SPF 15 contains Aloe Vera and Vitamin E to soften and nourish lip tissue and protects from the UV sun exposure essential for island living. I recommend it in a nude color.
5) Always moisturize skin when damp using a product like my Island Living Spider Lily Body Cream. This unbelievably thick yet easily absorbed moisturizer is rich in anti-oxidant olive and grapeseed oils, and formulated with heaps of moisturizing mango, shea and avocado butters to deep condition and restore shine, leaving skin soft and supple. Just before a long haul flight, I cover myself in this cream to combat the drying effects of the cabin air.