Illness Caused by Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Calif. Firefighter

A firefighter in California has died from an illness that stems from a brain-eating amoeba he contracted late last year, it is reported by the Press Enterprise.

Matt Moore, a fire captain in Murrieta, Calif., became seriously ill in November and doctors were initially baffled as to what was causing his sickness, according to the report.

In January, doctors, using a brain biopsy, pinpointed the illness to parasitic meningoencephalitis, an extremely rare infection caused by the brain-eating amoeba Balamuthia mandrillaris. This amoeba, which invades the brain, is usually fatal.

Click here to read an earlier report on Moore.

Moore died this week at UC San Diego Medical Center Hillcrest from complications due to meningoencephalitis, a condition that simultaneously resembles both meningitis and encephalitis.

Click here to read more on this story from the Press Enterprise.