I'll Have a Beer: Poll Says Americans Prefer Beer Over Wine

About two-thirds of U.S. adults drink alcohol — and most usually drink beer, according to a new Gallup poll on alcohol consumption.

About 1,000 U.S. adults aged 18 and older participated in the poll, which was conducted by phone earlier this month. The poll's margin of error is plus or minus 3 percent.

Participants answered questions about their drinking habits. A total of 64 percent indicated that they drink alcohol. The remaining 36 percent called themselves "total abstainers" from alcohol.

Participants who reported drinking alcohol were asked whether they usually drink beer, wine, or alcohol.

The majority — 40 percent — indicated that they usually drink beer. About 34 percent favored wine and 22 percent preferred liquor. The remaining 4 percent liked beer, wine, and liquor equally.

Men and younger drinkers were more likely to favor beer. Women and older drinkers ended to favor wine.

Most drinkers — 65 percent — noted that they'd had a drink within the past week.

Less than a quarter of the drinkers — 22 percent — reported sometimes drinking more than they think they should. Among all participants — drinkers and teetotalers alike — 35 percent indicated that drinking had ever been a cause of trouble in their family.

The poll also included this question, "Do you, personally, think drinking in moderation — that is, one or two drinks a day — is good for your health, makes no difference, or is bad for your health?"

All of the participants were asked that question, whether or not they drank alcohol.

Nearly half of the group — 49 percent — chose "makes no difference" as their answer. Another 22 percent voiced the belief that moderate drinking is good for health; 25 percent said drinking was "bad" for health, and 4 percent had no opinion on the topic.

SOURCE: Gallup.