Firefighters: Phoenix Man Arrives Home to Find Wife Engulfed in Flames

Firefighters blamed cigarette smoking for a fire that burned a 65-year-old Phoenix woman over most of her body, MyFOXPhoenix reports.

Firefighters were called to the woman's West Phoenix home Monday night and arrived to a gruesome scene. They found her badly burned, sitting on a chair in front of the house.

Her husband was slightly burned when he tried to rescue her. KPHO reports that the man came home to find Donna Owens sitting in the chair, engulfed in flames. Police believe the woman, described as an avid smoker, fell asleep while holding a lit cigarette, MyFOXPhoenix reports.

Police say Owens suffered burns to more than 50 percent of her body and was in critical condition on Tuesday, MyFOXPhoenix reports.

Click here for more on this story from