England, Portugal Advance in World Cup With 1-0 Wins

Portugal and England made it through to the quarterfinals of the World Cup on Sunday, and neither did it the easy way.

Portugal beat the Netherlands 1-0 in a game featuring four red cards and a World Cup record-tying 16 yellows. England labored to beat Ecuador 1-0 and will play the Portuguese in the quarterfinals on Saturday in Gelsenkirchen.

Maniche settled a fiery and bad-tempered game in Nuremberg with a goal of the quality fans and neutrals had hoped for.

Click here for full World Cup coverage at FOXSports.com.

A quick move on the edge of the area in the 23rd minute ended with Pauleta touching the ball to Maniche, who skipped inside a defender and shot right-footed past goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar from about 16 meters (yards).

However, the game soon became defined more by the players' loose adherence to the rules than their skill.

"It's a war, and today was very similar," Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said. "FIFA talks about fair play ... There was no fair play."

Portugal winger Cristiano Ronaldo was substituted crying with what appeared to be a serious injury in the 34th after a couple of rough tackles, one of which earned Khalid Boulahrouz a yellow card.

And Portugal was down to 10 men in first-half injury time when Costinha's handball earned him a second yellow and a sending off.

His captain, Luis Figo, was lucky to escape with only a yellow after the break when he head-butted Mark Van Bommel. Soon after, he was the recipient of an elbow, by Boulahrouz, who was sent off.

Portugal playmaker Deco sparked a brawl with a foul from behind before becoming the next to get sent off for a second yellow card, and the Netherlands' Giovanni van Bronckhorst followed in the five minutes of injury time at the end of the game

"It is sad there was so little soccer played in the second half," Netherlands coach Marco van Basten said.

Deco and Costinha will be suspended for Saturday's quarterfinal match, while the Netherlands has now been eliminated from two straight major tournaments by Portugal. Maniche also scored the winning goal in the 2004 European Championship semifinals.

With the four red cards Sunday, there have been a record 23 reds at this year's World Cup — one more than eight years ago in France.

Scolari kept his World Cup record winning streak alive, winning an 11th straight game. The first seven came when he guided Brazil to the 2002 title.

England, meanwhile, needed a moment of inspiration from captain David Beckham to get past unfavored Ecuador.

Laboring in the heat that has been blamed for the 1966 champion's sluggish performances, Beckham scored with a 60th-minute free kick from about 25 meters (yards) that beat diving goalkeeper Christian Mora.

Beckham's first goal in 14 games made him the first Englishman to score in three different World Cups and took him to 17 in 93 internationals. Beckham, who appeared to be struggling in the heat, vomited on the field shortly after the goal.

"I didn't feel well before the game. I felt fine in the first half — in the second it just came out," Beckham said. "We've got to overcome this (heat) because there will be other days like this. We make things hard for ourselves. We don't keep the ball as well as we can do."

It could have been so different had Ecuador striker Carlos Tenorio converted the game's first good scoring chance in the 12th minute.

Capitalizing on a mistake by defender John Terry, Tenorio found himself one-on-one against goalkeeper Paul Robinson but delayed long enough for Ashley Cole to slide in and deflect his shot onto the crossbar.

Nearly 2,000 police officers patrolled Stuttgart after the game to head off any violence as tens of thousands of fans celebrated England's victory.

The officers, some in riot gear, were on standby to prevent a repeat of the previous two nights of sporadic clashes which resulted in nearly 500 arrests.

"Everything is calm at the moment," Stuttgart Police spokeswoman Christiane Honer said.

As well as the 52,000 or so people inside the stadium, at least 30,000 English fans had congregated in a downtown square where the game was shown on a giant screen.