DETROIT – A Detroit fire official says a drunk man playing with fire started a blaze that killed at least two people in an apartment building and left one woman missing.
Fire Capt. Steve Varnas on Friday told The Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press a resident who says he was drinking all day used a piece of paper to light a cigarette and accidentally touched off the fire Thursday night in the five-story building. No one has been arrested.
Besides the two who died, the fire also hurt three others including two firefighters. A 67-year-old woman who used a wheelchair was last seen in the building has not yet been found. Varnas says the building is too dangerous for crews to enter.
Varnas says the building had about 49 residents.