Clinton Hostage-Taker Now a Fugitive

The man who took hostages at a Hillary Rodham Clinton presidential campaign office in 2007 cut off his electronic monitoring bracelet Tuesday, then fled, and he is considered dangerous, authorities said.

Leeland Eisenberg cut off his monitor just after 10 a.m., one day after being given a "last chance" at freedom by a judge who released him despite multiple probation violations, Strafford County Attorney Thomas Velardi said.

Velardi cautioned the public not to approach or attempt to apprehend Eisenberg if he is spotted.

"He has been violent in the past," Velardi said. "I would not want to test those waters."

LIVESHOTS: Clinton Campaign Hostage Taker On the Run

Strafford County Criminal Justice Coordinator Carrie Lover said that because of his initial, underlying charges, there is a "need to be concerned." She said Eisenberg was taking prescription medication but would not elaborate.

Velardi said there is no indication where Eisenberg might be headed, though he has no vehicle. Lover said tips from the public about Eisenberg's whereabouts are being investigated.

GPS tracking on the electronic bracelet shows Eisenberg left his apartment in a boarding house in Dover several times Tuesday morning before cutting off the monitor. Lover could not say where he went, citing the ongoing investigation.

Authorities don't know whether Eisenberg is armed but there's no reason to believe he obtained a weapon when he went out, Velardi said.

"We should assume the worst and hope for the best," he said.

Eisenberg spent about two years behind bars for the November 2007 siege at Clinton's Rochester campaign office in which he claimed to have a bomb. No one was hurt in a five-hour standoff and the bomb turned out to be road flares.

He was released on probation last November. His first violation occurred soon after his release, when he failed to charge his monitoring bracelet. He was incarcerated last month after failing to take mandatory alcohol breath tests.

Velardi objected strenuously to his release.

"This office has maintained the position all along that he cannot be safely monitored in the community, that he needs to go to state prison," Velardi said. "I thought he was trying to manipulate all the agencies who tried to come up with a plan for him."