Abduction Suspect Clark Rockefeller to Be Extradited to Boston

A father accused of abducting his 7-year-old daughter will be extradited to Massachusetts to face charges.

Clark Rockefeller, 48, is accused of kidnapping his daughter, Reigh Boss, during a supervised visit in Boston. He appeared before a Baltimore district judge on Monday to face a fugitive charge of abduction of a minor child at an arraignment hearing Monday and waived his right to a governor's warrant in the state of Maryland.

Rockefeller will be transported to Massachusetts soon and could be arraigned there as early as Tuesday, said Jake Wark, a spokesman from the district attorney's office in Suffolk County, Mass.

In Massachusetts, he faces charges of felony custodial kidnapping, assault and battery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in connection with the abduction of his daughter.

Click here for photos.

Rockefeller was arrested Saturday in Baltimore and his daughter found safe after a more than week-long hunt. The staff of a Baltimore real estate company recognized Rockefeller from reports about his daughter's abduction in Massachusetts and told police he'd bought a home in the city.

Rockefeller contacted Obsidian Realty late last year, saying he wanted to buy a home because he and his daughter were moving from Chile. Obsidian managing partner Julie Gochar said Monday her firm arranged for temporary housing and gave Rockefeller access to its offices so he could use the Internet. In mid-July, the company brokered Rockefeller's purchase of a home.

When Obsidian staff later saw news reports about the abduction of Rockefeller's 7-year-old daughter, they called police.

Rockefeller disappeared with Reigh, also known as "Snooks," on July 27 after a supervised visit in Boston.

The two were walking with a social worker near Boston's Public Gardens when a black sport utility vehicle with a Red Sox license plate pulled up to the curb and Rockefeller pulled the girl inside, authorities said. The social worker attempted to grab the SUV door and was dragged a short distance, suffering minor injuries.

Reigh lives with her mother, Sandra Boss, a graduate of the Harvard Business School who works in London. Boss married Rockefeller on Nantucket in 1995 and filed for divorce in January 2007. The final decree was issued in December.

During their 12-year marriage, the couple lived a lavish lifestyle. They owned a brownstone in Boston's tony Beacon Hill near Sen. John Kerry's home there and a mansion in Cornish, N.H., a summer resort favored by artists and writers.

Rockefeller was a director at Boston's exclusive Algonquin Club, but resigned about three months ago.

Boston police said it appears Rockefeller was setting up a new life in Maryland. The seller of a Baltimore home said he bought it for $450,000 in cash a month ago and said his name was Chip Smith. He mentioned his daughter was coming to live with him.

Authorities have uncovered several aliases and are trying to determine his real identity.

At Monday's hearing, Baltimore District Court Associate Judge Norman Braverman set an Aug. 15 date for a status hearing. Authorities from Massachusetts have 30 days to retrieve Rockefeller from Maryland.

During his court appearance, Rockefeller was dressed in a blue polo shirt and khakis and wore handcuffs and leg irons. He did not speak and was not represented by an attorney.

Police tracked Rockefeller to a Baltimore apartment with a tip from the public and arrested him after luring him outside with a ruse about his yacht, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said Saturday evening at a news conference.

The arrest of Rockefeller, carried out by FBI agents and Baltimore police, brought to an end a far-reaching, nearly weeklong manhunt that included reported sightings on a Caribbean island and reports that Rockefeller had disguised his daughter as a boy to elude authorities.

The case had gained an added element of mystery by the fact that Rockefeller had pretended to a member the famous family.

Rockefeller and his daughter were last seen at New York City's Grand Central Terminal on Sunday, hours after the supervised visit. Authorities from numerous agencies from Boston to Baltimore received about 200 tips in the case, and in the last two days they began closing in on the apartment north of downtown Baltimore based on a tip from someone whom Commissioner Davis said asked to remain anonymous.

Rockefeller's unnamed 26-foot yacht was found docked at a marina nearby, Davis said, though police say they concluded he didn't leave the country while on the run.

Out of concern for Reigh's safety, police lured Rockefeller out of the apartment by calling him on the phone and claiming that the yacht was taking on water, Davis said.

When he emerged, police arrested him and proceeded inside to find Reigh, who, Davis said, was excited to see them.

Sandra Boss was reported to be on her way from Boston to Baltimore by plane to be reunited with Reigh, according to the Boston Herald.

Click here to read more on this story from MyFOXBoston.com.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.