Published January 14, 2015
Authorities say six people have been seriously injured in a gas explosion at a Maryland strip mall.
Fire department spokesman Mark Brady says crews were called Thursday afternoon to a shopping center in Prince George's County for a report of a natural gas leak.
He says shortly after authorities evacuated the shops, an explosion occurred in one of the stores, causing significant damage to the mall. Five of the injured were firefighters.
Brady says a gas company employee was working on a gas line at the time of the blast. He says debris is scattered across the parking lot.