3rd NYPD Shooting Suspect Nabbed in Pennsylvania

A third suspect in the wounding of two New York Police Department officers has been captured in Pennsylvania, authorities said Thursday.

The New York Police Department and Pennsylvania state police confirmed that Robert J. Ellis was captured in Tannersville, Pa., near the place where another suspect was apprehended on Wednesday.

A bloodhound picked up Ellis' scent. He saw police and initially tried to run, but did not resist when he was captured by two troopers, said Pennsylvania State Police Capt. James Murtin.

"Mr. Ellis recognized that a pursuit was close at hand and attempted to flee," said Murtin. "It does not appear he got very far."

Click here for FOXNews.com's Crime center.

Ellis was found close to where he had first entered the woods on Wednesday. "It appears that he hunkered down for the night with no attempt to escape," said Murtin.

On the run from an intense manhunt, the two suspects had threaded through three states to a remote road in Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains, police said. Investigators tracked them there, following a trail of muddy footprints and food wrappers.

The police dragnet stretched for about two miles along a median; officers used night-vision gear and infrared heat-sensing equipment to search the dark expanse for Ellis.

A passing motorist had alerted authorities around 6 p.m. Wednesday after seeing Ellis and the other suspect, Dexter Bostic, walking along a rural section of Interstate 80 on Wednesday afternoon, police said. State troopers chased and tackled a "winded" Bostic, New York Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said, but Ellis got away.

A third ex-convict arrested in the case, Lee Woods, was ordered held without bail Wednesday on charges of attempted murder, assault on a police officer, weapon possession and other counts.

As result of the shooting, which occurred during a traffic stop of a stolen SUV in Brooklyn, Officer Russel Timoshenko, 23, is paralyzed, has brain swelling and cannot breathe on his own, Assistant District Attorney Anna-Siegga Nicolazzi said at Woods' court appearance on Wednesday in a courtroom packed with police officers.

The other wounded officer, Herman Yan, saved by his bullet-resistant vest, was released from the hospital Tuesday.

Click here for FOXNews.com's Crime center.