Cornelius, NC (SportsNetwork.com) - Brian Vickers will miss the rest of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series season after being placed on blood thinning medication to treat a blood clot in his right calf.
According to a release from Michael Waltrip Racing, Vickers was placed on medication after a Monday morning examination on his right leg discovered a small clot in his calf region.
Vickers was scheduled to drive the No. 55 Toyota for MWR in the last four Sprint Cup races this season -- Martinsville, Texas, Phoenix and Homestead. Team co-owner Michael Waltrip had already been scheduled to drive the car in this weekend's event at Talladega. Vickers will be out of the No. 20 Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing in the final three Nationwide races this season as well. He is currently eighth in the Nationwide point standings.
"If there's anything to be positive about with today's news it's that this is only a temporary setback," Vickers said. "The timing for this is never good, but I'm glad we'll get it out of the way now and be ready to run for a championship (in Sprint Cup) in 2014."
Vickers' latest health issue comes three years after he suffered blood clots in his legs and lungs and later had heart surgery as part of his treatment. He missed most of the 2010 season.
In August, MWR named Vickers as the full-time driver of the No. 55 car for the 2014 season. The announcement came one month after he ended a 75-race winless streak in Sprint Cup at New Hampshire. In 22 races with MWR during the 2012 and '13 seasons, Vickers scored five top-5 finishes and 10 top-10s. He finished 25th this past Saturday at Charlotte.
MWR will announce a replacement driver for the races following Talladega at a later date.
"We were just informed this morning, and our concern is for Brian's health," MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman said. "Anything else will be worked out in due course."
JGR has yet to reveal who will replace Vickers in Nationwide. The series is off for the next two weeks before heading to Texas the first weekend in November.