Nashville, TN – It seems like the Titans and holdout running back Chris Johnson are still far apart on a new contract.
One day after meeting with general manager Mike Reinfeldt, Johnson made it clear to the Tennessean on Thursday that the two sides are not on the same page.
"I feel like I came in yesterday and they gave me their points and we gave them all of our points," Johnson told the paper, "and we are not seeing eye- to-eye right now."
In a statement released by the club after Wednesday's meeting, Reinfeldt said it was important to have a face-to-face meeting to address Johnson's contract. He still has two years remaining on his original deal, but Johnson is seeking a contract that will make him one of the game's highest-paid players.
"I'm not sure there was any progress made, but I do think it was beneficial to meet," Reinfeldt's statement said. "We were able to discuss several different elements of a potential contract, but there was no agreement on those topics."
The statement said Reinfeldt and Vin Marino -- the Titans' vice president of football operations -- met with Johnson and his agent, Joel Segal. It also said Reinfeldt expects to talk with Segal again "in the next day or so."
Reinfeldt had previously told Sirius Radio the team was willing to alter Johnson's contract to make him the highest-paid running back in the history of the NFL.
But Johnson has missed all of training camp in holding out. He has totaled more than 1,000 yards rushing in each of his three NFL seasons, including 2,006 in 2009.
"Basically my plan is to continue to handle my part and let Joel handle his part," Johnson told the paper. "All I can do is continue to work out and stay in shape. From them seeing me yesterday, (Reinfeldt) knows I am in great shape, and he said 'you're looking good' and things like that. All I can do right now is keep working out and keep waiting."