Flushing, NY – The New York Mets and outfielder Jason Bay have agreed to part ways, making the native of Canada an unrestricted free agent.
"Jason has a tremendous work ethic. There was never any question about it," said Mets general manager Sandy Alderson in a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon. "Unfortunately, the results weren't there and we are in a results- oriented business. We thank Jason for his efforts and wish him well."
Bay had been signed to a four-year contract with a vesting option for a fifth season back in January of 2010, coming off a career year in 2009 with the Boston Red Sox in which he hit .267 with 36 home runs and 119 RBI.
But Bay never clicked in any of his three seasons in Queens, batting .245 with 12 homers, 19 doubles and 57 RBI over 123 games in 2011, his healthiest and most productive with New York.
Bay was limited to 70 games a year ago, hitting a paltry .165 with eight homers and 20 RBI. He missed time from April 24 to June 7 while on the disabled list thanks to a fractured rib.
"I still feel I have plenty to give to this game and that I can play baseball at a high level. But after serious consideration, both sides agree that we would benefit from a fresh start," said Bay. "I'm grateful we were able to reach an agreement to allow that to happen. I'm excited to keep playing and have no intention of just walking away. I enjoyed my time in New York. I have no regrets in signing with the Mets, other than that I wasn't able to play to the level that the team, the fans and I all expected and that we weren't able to win more games."
For his career, the 34-year-old from British Columbia is a. 269 hitter with 211 homers, 234 doubles and 734 RBI over 1,210 games in 10 seasons for the Padres, Pirates, Red Sox and Mets.