Published January 08, 2015
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Floyd Mayweather Jr., whose planned superfight with Manny Pacquiao fell apart last month over drug testing stipulations, will fight Shane Mosley on May 1, the boxer's promoter said on Wednesday.
The two fighters had agreed to Olympic-style drug testing, a major sticking point that killed talks for a proposed fight between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao, Mayweather Promotions said in a statement.
"This one is definitely for the fans as I wasn't going to waste anyone's time with a meaningless tune-up bout and asked to fight Shane immediately," six-time world champion Mayweather said in the statement.
"I have said ever since I came back to the sport that I only wanted to fight the best. I think Shane is one of the best, but come May 1, he still won't be great enough to beat me."
Mayweather (40-0), 32, retired in 2008 but returned to the ring last September with an easy decision over Juan Manuel Marquez after an 18-month break.
"I have always wanted to fight Floyd and now it is finally coming true," said Mosley. "I am already in great shape and ready to show everyone on May 1 that I am stronger, faster and better than he is. I will have no problem beating him."
Five-time champion Mosley (46-5) signed the deal last Friday for the fight to be held in Las Vegas.
(Writing by Frank Pingue in Toronto; Editing by Ian Ransom)