Kings, Devils tied 1-1 in Game 1

The Los Angeles Kings and New Jersey Devils are tied 1-1 after the second period in Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

New Jersey was granted another power play in the second period when Jarret Stoll tripped Ryan Carter while the duo pursued a loose puck. But the Devils remained without a shot in the frame until Zach Parise drove the net shorthanded with 5 1/2 minutes remaining.

Devils forward Dainius Zubrus, who is making his first appearance in the Cup Finals since 1997, when he was an 18-year-old rookie with Philadelphia, finished serving his infraction for elbowing and nearly tied the game with a shot off Jonathan Quick's glove.

New Jersey finally was able to sustain pressure in the offensive zone and pulled even when Anton Volchenkov's shot from the left boards caromed in off a body in front with 1:12 left.

The start to the game was long on whistles and short on shots as the teams played cautiously.

Los Angeles created pressure with its aggressive forecheck behind the New Jersey net, resulting in the series' first goal. Jordan Nolan pushed defenseman Andy Greene off the puck and fed out front to Colin Fraser, who beat Martin Brodeur on a one-timer from the right circle at the 9:56 mark of the first period.

Moments after Devils forward David Clarkson missed the net on a scoring chance, Kings captain Dustin Brown bumped into Brodeur. Los Angeles negated the power play as Quick made a big save on Travis Zajac's wrister.

Quick made another save off a draw to his right in the period's latter stages, getting his left pad on Bryce Salvador's point drive, one of the five shots he faced over the opening 20 minutes.

Los Angeles also recorded five first-period shots.

The Kings are making their second appearance in the Cup Finals -- they lost in five games in 1993 to Montreal -- after knocking off the Western Conference's top three seeds: Vancouver, St. Louis and Phoenix.

New Jersey is in the NHL's championship round for the fifth time in club history and first since capturing its third title in 2003. The Devils rallied from a 3-2 series deficit in the opening round with two overtime wins against the Florida Panthers, and then eliminated the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers, the East's top seed.