Hernandez saves a point for United

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Javier Hernandez allowed Manchester 1 draw.

Steven Gerrard had put Liverpool in front in the 68th minute with a free kick, but Hernandez came off the bench to head home the equalizer, preventing United from losing for the fourth successive time at Anfield.

The lone chance of the first half saw Luis Suarez denied by United goalkeeper David De Gea after Charlie Adam's deflected shot fell nicely inside the area for the Uruguay international.

But things picked up a bit in the second half and Gerrard opened the scoring with a free kick that slipped between the United wall and inside the right post.

It was a nice return to the starting 11 for the Liverpool captain, who had not featured in the starting lineup since March because of a groin problem.

However, the visitors hit back 10 minutes from time when Danny Welbeck's flicked header landed in the path of Hernandez, who nodded it home from six yards.

Liverpool had two good chances to grab the win in the final minutes, but De Gea produced a nice save to deny Dirk Kuyt before tipping a looping shot from Jordan Henderson past the post.

The result gives Liverpool seven points from its last three games while United drops to second in the league table with Manchester City's 4-1 win over Aston Villa.

Manchester City 4, Aston Villa 1

Manchester, England - Manchester City moved to the top of the league on Saturday after securing a 4-1 win over Aston Villa at the Etihad Stadium.

Mario Balotelli put the Citizens in front midway through the opening half, and goals from Adam Johnson and Vincent Kompany had the hosts well on their way to three points.

Stephen Warnock pulled a goal back for Villa in the 65th minute, but City responded six minutes later with James Milner scoring against his former team to cap the win.

City sits two points clear of Manchester United after the victory, with the two sides set to meet next Sunday.

Villa suffered its first loss of the campaign and slips to eighth in the table.

Chelsea 3, Everton 1

London, England - Chelsea won for the sixth time in seven games on Saturday as the Blues coasted to a 3-1 win over Everton at Stamford Bridge.

Daniel Sturridge tallied the opener just after the half-hour mark, while John Terry scored on the stroke of halftime to double the advantage.

A goal on the hour mark from Ramires effectively put the game out of reach, with Apostolos Vellios pulling a goal back 10 minutes from time for Everton, which lost its third successive match.

Norwich City 3, Swansea City 1

Norwich, England - Norwich City has claimed three wins from its last four games after topping Swansea City, 3-1, at Carrow Road on Saturday.

Anthony Pilkington tallied the opener in the first minute, and Russell Martin doubled the lead in the 10th.

Danny Graham scored two minutes later for Swansea to cut the halftime deficit to a goal, but Pilkington was on target again in the 62nd minute to put the result away.

QPR 1, Blackburn 1

London, England - QPR and Blackburn traded first-half goals in a 1-1 draw at Loftus Road on Saturday, dropping Blackburn to the bottom of the league.

Rovers had lost their last two games and fell behind after 15 minutes through Heidar Helguson's goal.

But Christopher Samba equalized eight minutes later, and neither side was able to produce a winner over the remainder of the match, leaving Blackburn with five points from eight games while QPR finds itself in the middle of the table with the result.

Stoke City 2, Fulham 0

Stoke-on-Trent, England - Stoke City needed two goals in the final 10 minutes to snatch a 2-0 win over Fulham on Saturday at the Britannia Stadium.

The Potters had secured just one point from their previous three games after a strong start to the season, but Jonathan Walters notched the opening goal in the 80th minute with Rory Delap scoring an insurance tally six minutes later.

Stoke sits in eighth place with the win while Fulham had a four-game unbeaten streak snapped.

Bolton 3, Wigan 1

Wigan, England - Bolton brought an end to its six-game losing skid on Saturday as Wanderers came away from the DW Stadium with a 3-1 win.

Nigel Reo-Coker scored after four minutes for Bolton but had his opener canceled out by Wigan's Mohamed Diame in the 39th minute.

A goal from David Ngog on the stroke of halftime restored Bolton's one-goal lead, and even though Kevin Davies failed to convert from the penalty spot in the 72nd, Chris Eagles tallied a stoppage-time goal to stretch the lead to 3-1.

Bolton climbs off the bottom of the table with the win and hands Wigan its fifth straight defeat, putting the Latics in 19th place.