Published March 23, 2016
French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve says the deadly explosions in Brussels are a reminder that a "very high security level" will be required during this year's European Championship in France.
Speaking hours after three explosions killed dozens in the Belgian capital, Cazeneuve said Tuesday that everything will be put in place during the tournament from June 10-July 10 to guarantee "collective security."
In the wake of the Paris attacks that left 130 people dead in November, tournament organizers had already strengthened security measures and made changes to fan zones. Cazeneuve said the state will contribute up to 2 million euros ($1.1 million) for video surveillance in the designated areas for the public.
Cazeneuve said Euro 2016 should bring "sportsmanship, festivities and security for teams, accompanying staff and spectators."