Dortmund lodges dramatic comeback against Malaga

Borussia Dortmund looked dead and buried but defied the odds to advance to the semifinals of the Champions League with a dramatic 3-2 win over Malaga at Signal Iduna Park on Tuesday.

The home side was behind at the start of stoppage time and needed two goals to advance. The Borussians found those two goals as Marco Reus and Felipe Santana struck in quick succession to send the Bundesliga club through by a 3-2 aggregate score.

After a scoreless opening leg, Malaga managed to take a shock lead after just 25 minutes of the return match when Joaquin received a square pass at the top of the box, cut the ball back onto his left foot and fired a low shot between the legs of Neven Subotic and past a diving Roman Weidenfeller.

Dortmund equalized in impressive fashion with a well-worked goal five minutes before halftime. Some fine link-up play in the midfield was capped off when Reus flicked a long ball behind his standing leg and into the path of Lewandowski. The Polish striker took one touch to get around the on-rushing Willy Caballero and another to slot his equalizer into the back of the empty net.

The two sides remained level at a goal apiece as Weidenfeller and Caballero traded one sensational save after another, but the Spanish side managed to grab the lead once more thanks to a missed offside call eight minutes from time.

Eliseu, who entered the match as a second-half substitute, appeared to be about a yard offside when Julio Baptista rolled a pass toward goal, but play was allowed to continue as the 29-year-old tucked home the loose ball to put the La Liga club in front.

Dortmund was frantic in search of an equalizer, but it eventually came in the first minute of stoppage time as Reus poached the tying goal following a scramble in the penalty area.

The comeback was completed a minute later. Dortmund continued to pump balls into the box, and a cross from the near side fell to Reus, who fired a bouncing ball into the danger area. Malaga failed to clear its lines and paid the price as Santana closed in on the doorstep to put Dortmund ahead and send the Bundesliga club to the semifinals in stunning fashion.

Galatasaray 3, Real Madrid 2

Istanbul, Turkey - Galatasaray fell just short of a miraculous comeback at Turk Telekom Arena on Tuesday, winning the second leg of its Champions League tie with Real Madrid by a score of 3-2 but bowing out of the competition behind an aggregate total of 5-3.

Madrid claimed a 3-0 victory in the opening leg and needed just eight minutes to open the scoring in the return match as Sami Khedira centered a low cross for Cristiano Ronaldo to fire home with a one-touch finish from the top of the six-yard box.

There appeared to be no way back for the Turkish club, but Emmanuel Eboue's rocket into the upper corner just before the hour mark gave the home side a glimmer of hope.

Galatasaray managed to make the most of the opportunity as Wesley Sneijder made it two in the 71st minute while Didier Drogba added another with a brilliant backheel finish a minute later.

But Madrid managed to advance to the semifinals, even despite Alvaro Arbeloa's late red card. The La Liga club cooled any notions of a Galatasaray comeback as Ronaldo scored in the second minute of stoppage time with his 11th goal of the tournament.