Broncos Cut Veteran TE Dwayne Carswell

Friday, September 01, 2006


DENVER — Dwayne Carswell's comeback fell short. The offensive lineman and one-time Pro Bowl tight end who was trying to return from a life-threatening auto accident that cut short his 2005 season was waived Friday by the Denver Broncos.

Coach Mike Shanahan met with a stream of players at the team's headquarters and Carswell emerged with the news that his 12-year career in Denver was over.

"He said it was a tough decision and that he wanted to go in a different direction,"Carswell said.

One of a handful of players remaining from the John Elway-led Super Bowl teams of the late 1990s, Carswell said he had expected to make the team as a backup guard/tackle.

"I was (surprised),"he said."It's been a long time. It happened. It's a business. It is very tough for me. This is all I know. I leave behind a lot of memories, a lot of old friends, players and coaches."

Carswell didn't blame the accident last October that resulted in numerous internal injuries for costing him another season with his beloved Broncos.

"I felt I'd come back,"he said."I felt good and I felt healthy."

Carswell said he doesn't know what his future holds:"I'm in the process of weighing my options."

Another notable veteran expected to get his walking papers as the Broncos trim their roster to 53 by Saturday was running back Ron Dayne, who briefly visited team headquarters Friday but drove away without speaking to reporters. His agent said he hadn't heard about his client's status.

Carswell played tight end during his first 11 seasons, all in Denver. He was moved to offensive line last year, but the Broncos used him in tackle-eligible plays several times and he caught two touchdown passes at Jacksonville shortly before his car crash.

The 34-year-old Carswell acknowledged in May that the accident and his age worked against him as he sought to make the roster.

Just his return to the practice field was considered an accomplishment given what happened to him last October, when his sedan was crumpled in a multicar accident that sent him to the hospital for lifesaving surgery after he was extricated from the wreckage.

He broke ribs, ruptured his diaphragm and spleen, and underwent a five-hour operation.

Afterward, he bought a big silver pickup, which he was driving Friday as he left Broncos headquarters for the last time.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.