Living the Phat Life -- and Loving It!
In vanity-obsessed Venezuela, Jennifer-Barreto-Leyva is carving a path as a plus-sized model.
- Jennifer Barreto-Leyva has made a name for herself on television and in the modeling industry -- even though she doesn't fit the mold of a traditional model.read more
- While everyone was seeing a parade of emaciated models on TV and magazine covers, she was promoting a message of having a strong self esteem no matter what you looked liked.read more
- Four years ago, after months of deep thinking and at the urging of the owner himself, she decided to become a contestant of the Miss Plus Universe pageant.read more
- She was the first Latina in history to ever do so, and I won both the popular vote (from 150,000 people worldwide), and the votes from the pageant jury itself.read more
- "The way I see it," she said. "No one has the right to tell me whether I’m beautiful or not. I grew up in a culture where beauty pageants were considered the norm, not the exception, and the message drowned into your head from infancy was that beauty equals power."read more
- Venezuelan women are considered to be the most beautiful women in the world, yet the most troubled when it comes to both self acceptance and self esteem, she said.read more
- On a runway on Portada's TV.read more
- On Sabado Gigante with Don Francisco on a debate "Can fat girls be beauty queens."read more
- Living the Phat Life -- and Loving It!