It's National Empanada Day!
Enjoy this delicious empanada recipe with a special ingredient, shrimp.
- Ingredients 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup onions, chopped 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped 1 small potato, diced 1 small carrot, diced 1 tablespoon jalapeño, diced 2 tablespoons tomato sauce 1/2 cup green peas, frozen 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup shrimp, diced 1 teaspoon ground curry 1 cup heavy cream 1-14 ounce package dumpling or wonton wrappers Oil for fryingread more
- Step 1 Chop all ingredients.read more
- Step 2 In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil, add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes.read more
- Step 3 Then add garlic and ginger and sauté for an additional minute. Add potato, carrot, jalapeño and tomato sauce.read more
- Step 4 Season with salt and curry powder and continue to stir for a couple of minutes.read more
- Step 5 Add shrimp, peas and heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. If cream begins to dry out, add chicken stock 1/4 cup at a time.read more
- Step 6 Scoop out vegetable and shrimp mixture and place in another bowl to let cool (leaving some of the curry sauce for dipping).read more
- Step 7 Heat oil in a medium sauce pan. On a work surface, place about 1 teaspoon of veggie and shrimp in the middle of the wrappers.read more
- Step 8 Wet edges of wrapper with water and seal. Press with edge of fork.read more
- Step 9 Serve immediately with curry dipping sauce.read more
- It's National Empanada Day!