By Madeline Farber
Published November 29, 2018
A French woman said she had a “light bulb head” after suffering a near-fatal allergic reaction to a chemical often found in darker-colored hair dyes.
The woman, identified only as Estelle, claims a chemical in the dye called Paraphenylenediamine (PPD) caused her allergic reaction, she told French publication Le Parisien, according to Yahoo Lifestyle's translation.
Though the 19-year-old claims she only tested a small amount of the product, her scalp almost “immediately” became irritated after application, she reportedly told the publication. The swelling began shortly after.
Though Estelle said she took an antihistamine to help with the swelling and irritation, the next morning her head had already enlarged — growing to 24.8 inches compared to an average 22 inches. Her tongue also swelled, she added.
“I could not breathe. I had a light bulb head,” she told Le Parisien, Yahoo Lifestyle reports.
The woman said she went to the emergency room, where she was given a shot of adrenaline. She stayed overnight at the hospital and has since recovered and the swelling has gone down.
The PPD chemical is commonly found in dark-colored hair dyes and makeup, as well as henna tattoos, according to Yahoo Lifestyle. An allergic reaction to the chemical can cause “fatal complications,” such as the breakdown of muscle tissue, known as rhabdomyolysis, respiratory distress and renal failure, among other side effects, according to report in the Journal of Research in Medical Sciences.
“I almost died,” Estelle added. “I do not want this to happen to others.”