Vaping-related lung transplant performed at Detroit hospital

Doctors at a Detroit hospital have performed a double lung transplant on a man whose lungs were damaged from vaping.

No other details of the transplant were released Monday by Henry Ford Health System, which has scheduled a news conference Tuesday. The patient has asked his medical team to share photographs and an update to warn others about vaping.

VITAMIN E ACETATE NAMED AS POSSIBLE CULPRIT IN VAPING ILLNESS OUTBREAK

More than 2,000 Americans who vape have gotten sick since March, many of them teenagers and young adults, and at least 40 people have died.

TRUMP SAYS FORTHCOMING VAPE POLICY MAY RAISE AGE REQUIREMENT TO 21 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last week announced a breakthrough into the cause of a vaping illness outbreak, identifying a chemical compound as a "very strong culprit." Vitamin E acetate previously was found in liquid from electronic cigarettes and other vaping devices used by many who got sick and only recently has been used as a vaping fluid thickener.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Many who got sick said they had vaped liquids that contain THC, the high-inducing part of marijuana.