By Lucia Suarez Sang, ,
Published January 03, 2018
A South Florida teenager is fighting for her life after suffering third-degree burns to over 95 percent of her body during a New Year’s Eve bonfire.
Layne Chesney, 14, was severely burned while making s’mores at a friend’s house in Fort Pierce on Sunday.
St. Lucie County Sherriff’s deputies said Layne tried to revive a dwindling fire by pouring gasoline on it, causing the gas can she was holding to explode.
“The flames of the fire were going out and gasoline spilled onto the fire and she became engulfed in flames,” the teen’s mother Leigh Chesney told reporters outside Kendall Regional Medical Center, according to WSVN.
She said doctors aren’t sure if the teenager will be able to pull through.
“She’s always been a fighter and I’m gonna fight with her, no matter what it takes,” Leigh Chesney added. “Obviously she’s suffered a lot of disfiguring injuries. The most severe are to her chest and her stomach. I just keep remember how she was and it’s very hard to see her like she is now.”
She added that her daughter, a ninth grader at Lincoln Park Academy who loves softball, will have a very difficult and long battle ahead of her.
“The only part of her body that wasn’t burned was the bottom of her feet,” Leigh Chesney added.
Because of the severity of her injuries, Layne has been put in a medical-induced coma.
The flames of the fire were going out and gasoline spilled onto the fire and she became engulfed in flames
Deputies said three people at the party – Layne’s 18-year-old friend Hunter Holms and his parents Robert Scott and Stephanie Holmes – were also treated for burns after they tried to put out the flames on the teen’s body.
“(Robert) grabbed her and held her. He used his body to put out the flames,” Leigh Chesney said, according to the TC Palm.
A GoFundMe page was set up by a family friend to help with Layne’s medical expenses.