By Nicole Darrah
Published February 28, 2019
Attorneys for the actor filed documents in court this week asking Spacey's accuser to turn over his cellphone so they can obtain messages, photos and other data, and also requested documents from the accuser's civil attorney, including fee agreements with the accuser's family.
Spacey's lawyers said they believe the accuser intends to file a civil lawsuit against the two-time Oscar winner. His attorneys believe that would strengthen the defense's argument that the accuser has a "substantial financial motivation to falsify his claims."
Spacey pleaded not guilty to a charge of felony indecent assault and battery last month. His next court appearance is scheduled for Monday, but the judge said Spacey doesn't have to attend.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.