A second person who may have been involved in the truck attack that killed four people and injured 15 others in Stockholm is under arrest, Swedish police announced on Monday.
The unnamed second suspect arrested Sunday is male, police spokesman Simon Bynert said without elaborating.
Rakhmat Akilov, a 39-year-old Uzbek man, has pleaded guilty to a terrorist crime after ramming the truck into a crowd outside a main pedestrian shopping street in the Swedish capital on April 7. Police have not disclosed a motive for the attack and no extremist group has claimed responsibility for it, although investigators said he'd expressed sympathy for terror groups include the Islamic State.
Akilov's Swedish residency application was rejected last year but police said there was nothing to indicate he might have planned an attack.
Prosecutors have until Wednesday to decide whether to remand the second suspect in custody, The Local reports.
The attack stunned many Swedes who have prided themselves on their open-door policies toward migrants and refugees, and many expressed fears that something had gone badly wrong. In 2015, a record 163,000 asylum-seekers arrived in the country — the highest per capita rate in Europe. The government responded by tightening border controls and curtailing some immigrant rights.
The four people killed were two Swedes, a Belgian woman and a British man.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.