Europe

Italy says 2 kidnapped Italians, 1 Canadian freed in Libya

The two Italian hostages that were freed in Libya, Bruno Cacace, second from left, and Danilo Calonego, second from right, leave a police station after being questioned by prosecutor Sergio Colaiocco, in Rome, Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. The two had been kidnapped at Gath, Libya, on Sept. 19.  (Giuseppe Lami/ANSA via AP)

The two Italian hostages that were freed in Libya, Bruno Cacace, second from left, and Danilo Calonego, second from right, leave a police station after being questioned by prosecutor Sergio Colaiocco, in Rome, Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016. The two had been kidnapped at Gath, Libya, on Sept. 19. (Giuseppe Lami/ANSA via AP)  (The Associated Press)

Italy's Foreign Ministry says two Italians and a Canadian citizen who had been kidnapped in Libya have been freed and returned safely to Italy.

The ministry said the three men were "liberated" in southern Libya during the night and brought early Saturday on a special flight to Italy.

A statement said their release was due to "the efficient collaboration of local Libyan authorities" but did not provide details.

They were kidnapped on Sept. 19 in Ghat by a group of armed men who blocked their vehicle.

It identified the Italians as Danilo Calonego and Bruno Cacace and the Canadian citizen of Italian origin, Frank Poccia.

ANSA news agency said they are all technicians with an Italian company, Conicos, which is doing construction work at an airport in Libya.