SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic – A Dominican Republic court has ordered three months detention for a former Ukrainian government official during an investigation into accusations he kidnapped a fellow countryman at a popular Dominican tourist spot.
Volodymyr Vasiliovich Saldo was arrested in late August along with a Bulgarian man after both were accused of kidnapping and torturing a 33-year-old Ukrainian man who allegedly owed them money.
Dominican authorities identified the alleged victim as Denys Paschenko and said he escaped after being held 50 days against his will. Paschenko was previously detained in Greece in 2015 by Interpol following accusations of bank fraud.
Vasiliovich's lawyer told The Associated Press on Monday that his client was actually the one kidnapped when he arrived in the Dominican Republic following an invitation by Paschenko to settle the debt.