South Korea says surviving South Korean women who were forced into sexual slavery by Japan's military in World War II will be eligible to receive 100 million won (about $90,000) each from a foundation that will be funded by the Japanese government.

Seoul's Foreign Ministry said Thursday that the families of deceased victims will be able to receive 20 million won ($18,000), and added it expects the Japanese government to soon transfer a promised 1 billion yen ($9.9 million) to a foundation formally launched in Seoul last month.

South Korea and Japan agreed to set up the foundation in December as they settled a decades-long dispute over South Korean sex slave victims. Seoul then said there were 46 surviving South Korean victims and 196 victims who had died.