World

Prosecutors in Guatemala charge former soldier for role in 1982 massacre

Santos Lopez Alonzo sits in a courtroom as he waits for his first hearing in Guatemala City, Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2016. Lopez Alonzo, former Guatemalan soldier suspected of helping carry out a massacre of more than 160 people in 1982 during the country's civil war was deported from the United States on Wednesday after a court refused his plea to stay because he fears for his life. (AP Photo/Luis Soto)

Santos Lopez Alonzo sits in a courtroom as he waits for his first hearing in Guatemala City, Wednesday, Aug. 10, 2016. Lopez Alonzo, former Guatemalan soldier suspected of helping carry out a massacre of more than 160 people in 1982 during the country's civil war was deported from the United States on Wednesday after a court refused his plea to stay because he fears for his life. (AP Photo/Luis Soto)

Prosecutors in Guatemala presented charges on Friday against a former soldier deported last week from the United States for his alleged involvement in the slaughter of more than 200 people more during his country's grueling civil war.

Victims' relatives hope Santos López Alonzo will be held accountable for the onslaught that wiped out the small village of Las Dos Erres in 1982.

Guatemalan prosecutor Hilda Piñeda said López Alonzo was a truck driver for the elite Guatemalan army unit that carried out the killings in Las Dos Erres. She said he guarded women and children being held inside a church while other soldiers interrogated and killed the men, who were accused for stealing missing guns.

Pineda, who presented the charges before a judge, said López Alonzo is accused of murder and crimes against humanity.

During the hearing, López Alonso listened closely as they read out the names of the more than 200 people killed.

More On This...

The now-64-year-old López is among four former soldiers accused in the massacre who were arrested after heading to the United States. Two are now serving time in U.S. prisons for immigration crimes related to the killings and one was deported and sentenced to more than 6,000 years in prison. Five former soldiers have been sentenced in the case.

In an earlier interview at a California immigration detention facility, López said he guarded women and children during the massacre but killed no one. He said he didn't fear Guatemala's investigation of the killings, but was afraid he would be tortured in his country as payback for assisting the U.S. government with its prosecution of one of his ex-comrades. He fought his deportation but a federal appeals court last month refused to block his return to Guatemala.

Authorities issued arrest warrants for 17 soldiers, including López, but the cases languished for years.

In 2009, the Inter-American Court of Human Rights demanded Guatemala prosecute the perpetrators. The U.S. began arresting the former soldiers, including López, the following year.

López also acknowledged taking a 5-year-old boy from the village, claiming he saved him and raised him as a son.

Ramiro Osorio Cristales grew up to become a key voice for victims. He received asylum in Canada, testified against some of the soldiers about his memories of the killings and cut ties with López, who Osorio says mistreated him for years.

At least 200,000 lives were lost in Guatemala's civil war before it ended in 1996.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter & Instagram