NICOSIA, Cyprus – The remains of 33 Turkish Cypriot villagers who were shot and killed after being taken off two buses during Turkey's 1974 invasion of ethnically divided Cyprus have been laid to rest after they were discovered down a mineshaft more than four decades later.
Gulden Plumer Kucuk, the Turkish Cypriot member of the Committee on Missing Persons, told The Associated Press Monday's mass burial in Taskent village in the island's breakaway Turkish Cypriot north comes exactly 42 years after the killings. The remains of 45 other people who had also been aboard the busses were buried in the village in 2014.
Hundreds of both Greek and Turkish Cypriots disappeared during the conflict.
Kucuk says 680 people have so far been identified, but 200 Turkish Cypriots and 900 Greek Cypriots remain missing.