PARIS – Some leading French media outlets say they will stop publishing the names and images of attackers linked to the Islamic State group to prevent individuals from being inadvertently glorified.
The decisions come after the truck attack on a Nice fireworks display and the killing of a French priest in a church in Normandy, events in a spate of attacks France has seen since last year.
On Wednesday, leading newspaper Le Monde pledged to stop publishing photographs of attackers and avoid "possible posthumous glorifying effects." The newspaper already has a ban on publishing extracts of IS propaganda.
BFM-TV said it will no longer broadcast images of attackers' faces.
Radio Europe-1 said it would no longer read out "terrorists' names" to "stop them being turned into heroes."