Supporters of Bahraini human rights activist Nabeel Rajab say he will remain behind bars for now after a judge postponed a court hearing over comments he posted online.

Defense lawyer Mohammed al-Jishi and the London-based Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy said in separate statements that Rajab's trial was postponed until Aug. 2. They say a request to release him pending trial was refused at a court hearing Tuesday.

BIRD says Rajab faces charges including "insulting a statutory body" and a neighboring country, and spreading false rumors during wartime. The charges relate to Twitter posts over the Saudi-led military intervention in Yemen and conditions at a Bahraini prison.

Rajab was detained last month amid an intensifying crackdown on dissent in the kingdom, which hosts the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.