KABUL, Afghanistan – Afghan officials say the Taliban have killed at least five people from a group of eight abducted earlier this month from a bus in northern Kunduz province.
Yusouf Ayubi, head of the provincial council in Kunduz, said on Monday that the bodies were brought to the hospital in the city of Kunduz the previous day.
Mahmood Danish, spokesman for the provincial governor said an investigation is underway on the abductions.
The five were among eight passengers abducted on a bus in Chardara district on earlier in June.
The Taliban have a presence in different districts in Kunduz and their attacks usually target Afghan security forces. Last year, they briefly overran the city of Kunduz but were pushed out after a few days.