MOSCOW – The Latest on the European Championship soccer tournament being held in France (all times local):
Paris' police prefect says the level of security in the French capital has been further increased in order to protect potential soft targets during the European Championship soccer tournament.
Michel Cadot says an extra contingent of 1,200 soldiers will be deployed in public spaces, transportation and landmarks across Paris during the monthlong tournament.
Cadot said "we are focusing on fan zones and stadiums, but during that period there is a very strong need for the general surveillance of the Paris area."
Cadot added that a more than 13,000-strong security force will be patrolling around stadiums, fan zones and other public spaces, a figure "that will rise from mid-June."
The state of emergency is still in force in France after extremist attacks killed 130 people in Paris in November.
Ukraine's intelligence agency SBU says it has thwarted a plot to attack soccer's European Championships in France.
The SBU said in a statement on Monday that it had followed a French man since December and allowed him to purchase five machine guns, two rocket propelled grenades and other weapons before he was arrested on the Ukrainian-Polish border last month.
The SBU didn't identify the man but said he was driven by ultra-nationalist views and planned 15 attacks on bridges, railways and other pieces of infrastructure for Euro 2016 that will be held in France.