About 2,500 people have been evacuated in the Dominican Republic because of flooding caused by heavy rains over the previous 12 days, relief agencies said Sunday.

Juan Manuel Mendez, director of the Caribbean nation's Center of Emergency Operations, urged people to keep alert as there is a possibility of more flooding and mudslides from further rains forecast for the coming days.

"The population should not be complacent," he said at a news conference.

Mendez said 10 homes had been destroyed by high waters and nearly 500 more had been flooded. Five bridges have been damaged, cutting off access to 31 rural communities, he said.

The evacuees were moved to homes of relatives in areas less vulnerable to flooding.