ROME – The Italian navy says improved sea and weather conditions allow it to resume operations to bring to Sicily a fishing boat that capsized and sank off Libya last year, with hundreds of migrants trapped inside.
Navy divers already removed the bodies of 169 migrants, who perished in the April 18, 2015, sinking of the smugglers' boat, which capsized as a cargo ship approached to rescue them.
Survivors said as many as 800 were trapped inside.
Italy's government has vowed to do all possible to raise the boat, which sank some 370 meters (1,200 feet), remove the dead and try to identify the victims. The navy said Tuesday a barge will be used to transport the wreck to a Sicilian port and the bodies will be buried in Sicily.