An official at Cape Verde's Defense Ministry says police have captured a soldier suspected of killing 11 people at a military barracks in the West African island nation.

Spokeswoman Edna Pinto told The Associated Press by telephone the suspect was arrested Wednesday after a 24-hour manhunt. She gave no other details.

State broadcaster Radio Cabo Verde said the suspect was captured in the Paiol neighborhood of Praia, the capital of the former Portuguese colony.

The broadcaster and other local media identified the suspect as 22-year-old Manuel Antonio Silva Ribeiro.

The government previously said a disgruntled soldier who had gone missing was suspected of gunning down eight soldiers and three civilians, including two Spaniards, on Tuesday.