DUBAI, United Arab Emirates – Saudi state television is reporting that two people and a child were killed and a foreigner was wounded by shelling from neighboring war-torn Yemen.
The state television report said the shelling happened around 5 p.m. Tuesday in the kingdom's southern province of Jazan. It said the child died at a local hospital.
A Saudi-led coalition launched an airstrike and land campaign against Shiite rebels known as Houthis in Yemen in March 2015. Since then, more than 6,000 people in Yemen have been killed. Sporadic cross-border shelling also has killed and wounded civilians in Saudi Arabia.
The United Nations says more than 80 percent of Yemenis are in dire need of food, water and other aid as a result of the conflict in the Arab world's poorest country.