Europe

Belgian charged with terrorism in new French attacks case

  • Police detain a group of people at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

    Police detain a group of people at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)  (The Associated Press)

  • Police secure a zone around a police bus for detained people, at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

    Police secure a zone around a police bus for detained people, at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)  (The Associated Press)

  • Policemen detain people at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Olivier Matthys)

    Policemen detain people at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, Saturday, April 2, 2016. Authorities had banned all marches in Brussels, after a far-right group announced its plans to hold an anti-Muslim rally in the city. (AP Photo/Olivier Matthys)  (The Associated Press)

The Belgian federal prosecutor's office has charged a Belgian with participating in the activities of a terrorist group for his alleged role in a plot to attack France, uncovered after the arrest of a Frenchman and discovery of a huge cache of weapons and explosives.

A statement on Saturday named the 33-year-old suspect only as Y.A. It said he's in custody and has been charged in the case that grew out of the arrest last week of Reda Kriket in the Paris suburb of Boulogne-Billancourt.

Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said an "imminent" attack was thwarted with Kriket's arrest and the discovery of the explosives stash in suburban Argenteuil outside of Paris.

A third man was arrested in Rotterdam in the case, separate from the deadly attacks in Paris and Brussels.