Africa

UN receives new claims of Central African Republic sex abuse

The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Central African Republic says it has received new allegations of sexual abuse and exploitation by U.N. and non-U.N. forces as well as civilians.

A mission statement said the alleged incidents took place in Kemo prefecture, east of the capital Bangui, in 2014 and 2015.

The mission said Friday a U.N. team will be rapidly deployed to the area to investigate and to ensure that victims have been assisted.

A U.N. peacekeeping spokesman said no details were available yet on the nationalities of the alleged perpetrators.

Earlier this month, the Security Council approved its first-ever resolution tackling the escalating problem of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers who act as predators when sent to protect civilians in some of the world's most volatile areas.