Egypt's Interior Ministry says it has killed members of a gang suspected of being behind the killing of an Italian student whose death sparked an international outcry.

In a statement Thursday, the ministry said the gang members are specialized in abducting foreigners posing as policemen, and found the personal belongings of the 28-year-old Giulio Regeni.

Ahmed Nagy, a state prosecutor investigating Regeni case, told The Associated Press, he has no information on the gang.

Last week, Egypt's President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi promised that investigators will work "night and day" to locate and prosecute those responsible for Regeni's killing.

Regeni went missing Jan. 25, the fifth anniversary of Egypt's 2011 uprising, when police were deployed across Cairo in a broad security sweep to prevent any demonstrations.