Congo's justice minister says one of the most wanted suspects in the 1994 Rwandan genocide has now been extradited home to face charges.

Ladislas Ntaganzwa's arrest in eastern Congo late last year came more than two decades after the genocide in which more than 800,000 ethnic Tutsis and moderate Hutus were slaughtered by extremist Hutus.

Congolese Justice Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba made the announcement Sunday.

Rwandan authorities have said they want to try him on charges of participating in the planning and execution of the massacre of more than 20,000 Tutsis over a four-day period.

In one case, authorities say Ntaganzwa personally gave the order for a massacre to begin in Cyahinda Parish on April 15, 1994, and then incited others to kill those who tried to escape.