Saudi authorities say a border guard has been killed by incoming fire from war-ravaged Yemen.

The Interior Ministry announced the guard's death on Monday morning. It said the soldier died on Sunday night when a cross-border shell landed near him in Jazan, a southern province bordering Yemen.

A Saudi-led coalition launched an air campaign against the Shiite rebels known as Houthis in Yemen in March 2015. Since then, more than 5,800 people have been killed.

The United Nations says more than 80 percent of Yemenis are in dire need of food, water and other aid as a result of the conflict in the Arab world's poorest country.