Reports in China say bulldozers unexpectedly demolished part of a hospital and its adjoining morgue in central China, sending doctors, nurses and patients fleeing and burying under rubble six bodies being processed at the morgue.

The work happened Thursday morning in Zhengzhou city in Henan province.

The Xinhua News Agency says that the hospital accused the local government of ordering demolition work after failing to get the hospital to agree to it for a road expansion project.

The Huiji District Government Information Office said in an online statement Thursday evening that they had asked the hospital in vain to demolish the CT room and morgue itself. It said workers had made sure there were no people inside the buildings before tearing them down, and there had been no casualties.