ACCRA, Ghana – Ghana's foreign ministry says two former Guantanamo detainees of Yemeni origin will be settling for two years in the West African nation at the request of the United States.
The ministry said Wednesday that two other people from Rwanda who were tried by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda will also be allowed to settle in Ghana. It said the two were part of a group of people who had been acquitted, or sentenced and served time.
It said the humanitarian crisis in the Middle East means it will also provide refuge for some displaced Syrians with relatives in Ghana.
The government said that all those coming in will be monitored. It said Ghana is taking these actions in recognition of its responsibility as a member of the international community.